Hand controls are essential driving aids for the disabled drivers. They help the disabled people drive securely and comfortably.
Mechanical hand controls
There are many kinds of controls which help with the braking and acceleration functioning of the vehicle. There is a connection created between the brakes and acceleration pedals and the hand controlling unit with the help of electrical pipe/ tube. People with disability find this type of hand control beneficial as this driving aid helps them take up the driving seat and drive independently. There are various types of mechanical controls such as:
- push and pull type
- push and rock type
- push and right angle type
Depending on the degree of disability and functioning of the hand movements, people with disabilities can choose the right type which they find comfortable to use.
Electronic hand controls
Among various kinds of controls, one of the most popular kind are the electronic aided hand controls. The different types include car functioning switches, buttons and knobs which are used for car braking, for manipulating the speed of the car and for easy turns and twists of the steering wheel. Electronic ones are very useful for the people with high degree of disabilities and with zero or limited hand movements. These uses the latest technology available in the market and are manufactured keeping in mind all the safety guidance rules.
Steering knobs as hand controls are very useful for steering purposes. These different types of knobs are fitted on the steering wheel depending on the different needs of the handicapped people. It is fitted on the steering wheel with the help of two straps which is attached to a stem and a fixed base which in turn is fixed on the steering wheel, because of these straps the knob does not move from its place and remains in a fixed position. The knobs help in turning the vehicle properly.
Different types of steering knobs
The different types of steering knobs are as follows:
- Tri pins: this steering device is beneficial for the handicapped driver who has no strength on his or her wrist and does not have any kind of grip or wrist stability. The pins are secured and kept in place firmly with help of stable base fitted inside the steering wheel. The pins have foam covering for comfortable driving.
- Steering cuffs: are used by people who have zero hand and wrist movement ability. These provide complete support to the handicapped drivers and keep the vehicle in control.
- V-grip: this used by the disabled drivers who have minimum gripping power in their hands. This grip stabilizes the hands of the drivers and can be adjusted as per the requirements of the driver.
- Amputee Ring: this hand control helps the people with prosthetic hooks to drive their vehicle. These hand controls are made of steel and are placed on the place of steering wheels.